CAREERSVP OF MIDWEST POLICY AND GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS
ABOUT THE JOB
The VP of Midwest Policy and Government Affairs will lead policy initiatives and community-engagement efforts in United Wind’s key Midwest markets in pursuit of creating favorable policy landscapes for distributed wind energy development.
ABOUT UNITED WIND
United Wind (“UW”) is the market leader in the early-stage and fast-growing distributed wind energy industry in the U.S. UW provides rural property owners with the opportunity to save significantly on their electricity bills over a 20 year WindLease™ by harvesting their on-site wind resource without any upfront costs. Our revolutionary WindLease is changing the way people purchase electricity – we enable property owners to “Be their own power company”.
The VP of Midwest Policy and Government Affairs will be expected to engage with the various stakeholders, including rural electric cooperatives, farm bureaus, and state legislators, to promote favorable policies in its target Midwest states. The VP will conduct research and analysis and collaborate with internal executive staff on strategy to address opportunities and risks in that market. The ideal candidate will have a working knowledge of current issues facing the distributed generation industry, specifically as it relates to net metering, standardized interconnection, and rate design. UW is rapidly growing and you will be expected to work independently and proactively.
UW prides itself on choosing and developing exceptional talent, and providing you the opportunities for growth and success. This position will be an opportunity to learn and grow with a market-leading company. Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Document and track all federal, state, and regional renewable energy policy and communicate internally to leadership the impacts of such policy to UW’s business.
- Identify policy issues limiting the development of distributed wind energy and work with stakeholders to develop solutions to eliminate barriers.
- Represent UW in discussions with the Distributed Wind Energy Association and other related trade associations.
- Engage and build working relationships with rural electric cooperatives and investor owned utility personnel to enable seamless interconnection procedures with UW customers.
- Represent UW before public utility commissions and utility boards on matters of rate design and statewide initiatives.
- Make presentations to the CEO and Board of Directors on a monthly basis.
- Be a dynamic and proactive policy leader in one of the most exciting clean-tech startups in the U.S. today.
- Work well in a team, acclimate to an established culture of transparency, mutual respect, and hard work, in an exciting and engaging environment.
- Be available to travel often to target markets throughout the U.S. as needed to meet and engage with stakeholders.
- Good understanding of renewable energy and electric utility policy. Experience with wind, distributed wind, or distributed solar is a plus.
- Established networks in Midwest markets with the Generation and Transmission, investor owned utility, and rural electric cooperative industries, specifically in Minnesota, Kansas, Colorado, and Iowa, is a plus.
- Able to clearly and concisely communicate complex issues in a manner that can be digested by all.
Expressions of interest should be directed to Jason Kaplan, General Counsel & Head of Policy: firstname.lastname@example.org
United Wind is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No person will be discriminated against in hiring or in any other aspect of their employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, pregnancy, disability status, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, familial status, citizenship status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.